Studying piano is a great way to enjoy music, get tactile satisfaction, improve coordination, build confidence and have a creative outlet. I have been playing piano for nearly 50 years, and opened my studio in 2015.
Lessons are half an hour to an hour, and held at my home studio in the Woodlake neighborhood of Durham, NC (not far from Southpoint Mall).
Fees are on the on-line scheduling page.
All ages are welcome.
- Students age 4 and younger work with a pre-piano curriculum to develop musical competence, focus and coordination.
- Children and youth participate in a few recitals and musical get-togethers during the year.
- I accommodate busy adults who may need flexible scheduling, and collaborate on setting goals.
- Many retirees have enjoyed piano study as they find they have more time. I encourage both adults who have never studied piano, and those who are interested in getting back to it.
Why take lessons if you are using Piano Marvel or online tutorials? A teacher will:
- demonstrate and correct physical approach to the piano (posture and positioning, use of arms, weight, direction, bounce, etc.), which makes an enormous difference in ease of playing.
- demonstrate and discuss musical expression - how to set a mood, tell a story, make surprises with your playing, using dynamics, shading, timing and tone.
- help you discover how pieces are constructed - recognize themes, structures and expressive devices, and help you create your own music through improvisation, games and composition.
- help you engage the emotional aspects of being a pianist - confidence, self-image, power, self-expression, persistence, courage.